Southern Highland Craft Guild
ASHEVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA
area. First conceived by Olive Dame Campbell in the 1920s, the craft
guild was launched in 1930 with an exhibition of regional arts. Frances
Louisa Goodrich contributed her Allanstand Shop so that families
living in an already depressed region would have a sales venue for their
work throughout the Great Depression and the years of World War Il.
From that early start, the Southern Highland Craft Guild has grown to
nearly a thousand members and has established a worldwide reputation
for fine workmanship. The guild is governed by the artist membership,
which is made up of a wide range of craftspeople from institute-trained
artists to local makers trained by parents and friends.
Deb Schillo served as the guild's librarian and archivist for 20
years. Barbara Miller juried into the guild in 1965 and is still an active
member, having served on the board and numerous committees. The
authors have selected a sampling of the thousands of photographs and
materials from the archives of the Southern Highland Craft Guild to
provide a glimpse at some of the people and places that contributed to
where the guild is today.
The Images of America series celebrates the history of
neighborhoods, towns, and cities across the country. Using archival
photographs, each title presents the distinctive stories from the past
that shape the character of the community today. Arcadia is proud
to play a part in the preservation of local heritage, making history
available to all.